Tourist Visa

Many foreigners who visit the Philippines stay here on a tourist visa. The initial stamp, that you get at the airport, is good for 21 days. If you want to stay longer, you can get an extension for another 38 days, bringing you up to 59 days. After that you can renew up to 2 months at a time for a total of 1 year. If you wish to stay longer, and still want to keep tourist status, you have to leave the country, and start over. You can find the fee structure for tourist visa’s at the Bureau of Immigration’s website.

I’ve met foreigners who went to Malaysia or Hong Kong, then returned the next day, to keep their tourist status. Some foreigners live like this for many years. If you visit your home country at least once a year, and you live near an immigration office, this is not a bad option. I did it this way for my first two years. Now I have an “Alien Certificate of Registration” (ACR) I-Card.

Whenever you renew your tourist visa, make sure you get official reciepts! If you should ever loose your passport, those reciepts will serve as proof of your being in the country legally. Keep those receipts in a seperate place from your passport. Doing this could save you a lot of money and hassles.

There are still small, mostly provincial immigration offices, who cannot issue official reciepts. These places may be more convenient, if they are close to where you live. But you go there at your own risk. They will be the ones to go to a larger office to get the actual visa issued. Sometimes they will also charge you “extra fees” for their services. Personally, I prefer to be the one to go to the larger office. I have been told Catbalogan has the ability to issue official reciepts for Samar Province, though I have not been there yet.

Some foreigners will tell you to always go to the same Bureau of Immigration office. I think this is because they did not get official reciepts. I have been to offices in Manila, Cebu, and Tacloban, and never had any problems. Just take your papers with you.

Disclaimer: Expat2Phils is not in any way connected to the Government of the Philippines, nor are we lawyers. What we offer are personal experiences, not legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer!


3 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. sailorjohn
    Apr 16, 2009 @ 12:05:11

    Good information Dale.

    Once we make the move, prior to our departure, we will apply for the appropriate visas for ourselfs so we can come and go with no problems. I guess we also will need to get this ACR-I Card.

    Any links you may have will be helpful.


  2. paul
    May 05, 2009 @ 20:21:55

    Actually, you may stay up to 16 months now, as a tourist. You can stay longer, but the approval will have to come from Manila.

    Dale, could you email me, please? I don’t see a link, unless I missed it, where I may contact you.You can reach me at: cebu (at) livingincebu (dot) com.

    I would like to communicate with you directly, if you don’t mind sir.




  3. Admin Dale
    May 13, 2009 @ 16:25:12

    Thanks Paul, I didn’t know that.

    I have addded a contact page now. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: